I attended church service this Sunday for the first time in eons and although I didn't feel as if the pastor was speaking to me, I did feel as if we were having an intimate conversation. The type of conversation that close friends share. The topic was associations and the company you keep. Since the conversation was one-sided (obviously because he had a mic and a podium, while I sat in the audience) I decided to share my rebuttal.
To sum up the sermon, Pastor Coles eloquently stated, "You shouldn't hang around a problem unless you have developed a ministry for the solution." Just because your friends are like minded does not mean they are the best fit for you. Especially if you are not where you want to be in life. Evaluate your environment and treat your life like a business meeting where there is always someone there to play the role of the antagonist. You know... that one person who disagrees with everything, the...hater. The hater shines the light on your short-comings, jolting you out a comfortable state and making you work to be that much better.
So in this same vein I wanted to relay information that I have learned to live by in my short time on this earth.
Friendship is a matter of simple math. The company you keep serves to add, subtract, multiply, or divide from your worth. If you don't have friends who are adding to your life and thereby multiplying your net worth than the friends that you have are most likely subtracting from your positive attributes and dividing your assets while making themselves a liability on your life.
So with this I say to all my friends and close family members thank you for making me better and adding to my bottom line. That's the only Christmas present I need this year!
2 comments:
....so is that the only one you're giving too? LOL.
Seriously Quita, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one...a powerful rebuttal. I have been contemplating the same and it is really painful to say that not everyone in my circle is an asset. For the most part, many of them are there because they've been there and that's it...Like the item in your junk drawer that appears to serve some purpose--you've looked at it everytime you've opened the drawer and you fear that discarding it might leave you in a lurch someday when you need it. I won't end this thought because it has not been all thought out--but thanks for your input, it really helps.
I was once in a situation that I had "girls" around me that was not adding to my life. As I got older I realized that one does not need a circle of friends to feel complete, one just need a few friends for joy in your life. At the end of the day, I know that my two friends would bind over backwards for me and would not think twice about it.
Post a Comment